public function meta_viewport() { return ‘width=device-width’; }
G4Games » Gadgets » iPhone 6, iWatch: Supply Chain Info Blowout Gives Us Hints At What’s To Come

iPhone 6, iWatch: Supply Chain Info Blowout Gives Us Hints At What’s To Come

by Mihai Matei on June 17, 2014


It looks as if there’s not one day passing by without a leak or rumor concerning Apple’s plans going public. Oftentimes, the iPhone 6 and / or the iWatch make the headlines multiple times a day, and sure enough, this is one of those days.

Earlier today we’ve shared a motherload of leaked iPhone 6 pictures with you, so if you haven’t checked them out, you probably should. However, right now we’ll focus on the matter at hand, which is basically a new chunk of information that has recently surfaced on the web, concerning the iPhone 6 and the iWatch. Check back after the break for the full story.

iphone-6-02

iPhone 6, iWatch: Supply Chain Info Hints at Things to Come?

Recently, Taiwan’s “Econimic Daily” revealed Apple’s alleged plans in regards to the iPhone 6 and the mysterious iWatch, as well as the current status of these devices. The information comes from “supply chain sources”, and what we have here today is basically a number of reaffirmed, contested, as well as new bits of the puzzle.

For starters, according to the source, the iPhone 6 (most likely in both of its versions) as well as the iWatch will be announced at the end of the 3rd quarter. The source also claims that the 4.7 inch iPhone 6 will hit the market with Gorilla Glass in tow. The main screen suppliers allegedly are LGD and JDI, and in anticipation of the handset’s success, the company expects to ship 60 million units (we assume that by the end of 2014). Apple appears to have great faith in the device mainly because of its larger footprint, but the Cupertino giant is also fearful that customer request could be overwhelming.

As far as the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 goes, it will allegedly be built in limited quantities due to low sapphire yield, leading to a limited supply in 2014, therefore contradicting a recent report which claimed that Apple will have enough sapphire for both iPhone 6 models AND the iWatch. However, this isn’t the first time we hear that the 5.5-inch model could be delayed due to the use of sapphire, but at least this new report isn’t pushing the handset’s launch into 2015.

iwatch

Finally, the source also discloses various aspects regarding the iWatch. Reportedly, Apple has constantly pushed back the gadget’s release date because the device failed, in the past, to meet the company’s expectations. One of Apple goals with the iWatch is for the smartwatch’s display to draw almost no power when in standby, but this has proven to be a big challenge. And speaking of the display, the device will reportedly feature an OLED screen (between 1.3 and 1.6-inches in size) which will be supplied exclusively by LG Display, just as it’s been reported back in January 2014.


FYI: OLED displays don’t have a back-light and are capable of shutting off individual pixels, feat that greatly reduces battery consumption. This also means that the iWatch will have an always on display, kind of like the Moto X.

The report goes on by claiming that initial iWatch shipments will reach 10 million units, which falls in line with a previous report hinting that LG will produce roughly 9 million iWatch screens by the end of 2014. Supposedly, the iWatch will be pieced together in Quanta’s plants on the most part, with limited Inventec involvement. This new rumor contradicts an earlier one which suggested that Inventec will be responsible for manufacturing about 60% of the iWatches, while Quanta would take care of the remaining 40%. Whatever the case, the gadget will supposedly cost $349, which is about $150 more than what some analysts have predicted in the past.

This pretty much wraps things up, so what are your thoughts concerning these recent reports?

Source

Previous post:

Next post: