Folks who own the Samsung Epic 4G may be surprised to hear that their device has finally received the Android 2.3 Gingerbread update when Ice Cream Sandwich is just around the corner, but it’s better later than never, right ? The update can be performed OTA, but if you haven’t received it and don’t want to wait until it arrives on your phone you can perform it manually in a few easy steps. It is said to be just as safe as the OTA update as it is done with the recovery tool, but you need to have stock Froyo EC05 before performing the upgrade.
Samsung Epic 4G Android 2.3 Gingerbread
If everything is done correctly, you should end up with Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread version EI22, and here’s how you do it:
- Download the update from Google.
- Rename the file to update.zip. ( Make sure you don’t do update.zip.zip if you’re on Windows. )
- Move the update.zip file to your SD card ( instructions ).
- Turn off your phone.
- Hold the Volume Down and Camera buttons, then press the power button.
- The update should automatically launch itself. Sit back and relax.
- Reboot the phone.
Among the generic improvements Gingerbread is going to bring to the Samsung Epic 4G, you will also get:
- Audible Sprint AIRAVE notifications when answering calls
- SMS messages sent without area code
- PRL and Profile update
- EAS (Exchange Activesync) email displaying HTML
- Bluetooth headset sound improvements
- Fully visible date on device lock screen
Now all you have to do is enjoy your freshly installed Gingerbread and hope Ice Cream Sandwich will arrive on the Samsung Epic 4G.
If you find yourself stuck or just want some feedback from other folks who performed the update you can visit the Samsung Epic 4G Android 2.3 Gingerbread topic over at the AndroidCentral forum.
Feel free to leave your feedback on the update below.