Windows Test Master is a rogue program that poses as an anti-spyware in order to scare the user into giving away personal and credit card information. Being part of the Fake Microsoft Security Essentials infection, Windows Test Master does this by first displaying fake Microsoft Security Essentials alert messages suggesting that an Unknown Win32/Trojan has been found on your computer.
Windows Test Master will then perform a fake scan at the end of which it will state that one of your files has been infected with Trojan.Horse.Win32.PAV.64.a. The same alert message will then suggest that in order to get rid of this infection you need to download and install Windows Test Master. Pressing ok will start an automated process in which Windows Test Master will infect your computer further and reboot your system.
After the reboot you will notice that you are not able to access your regular desktop screen. Instead you are presented with the Windows Test Master main window, where you will be again prompted to perform a (fake) scan. After the fake scan is complete you will be presented with a list of numerous fake threats on your system, after which Windows Test Master will suggest that the only way to get rid of these infections is by purchasing the full version of Windows Test Master. Do not let yourself scared into purchasing this program as it is nothing more than a forgery.
Keep in mind that Windows Test Master will not allow you to access your desktop screen unless you perform that full scan.
Windows Test Master Removal Guide
In order to successfully remove Windows Test Master from your computer you will need to download RKill, Shell.reg and Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware MBAM. Keep in mind that Windows Test Master might give you trouble downloading these files on the infected machine. If this is the case then you are left with no option but to download these files on a working clean computer and then transfer them onto the infected one via CD/DVD or any other portable means.
- Run RKill so that every process related to Windows Test Master will be ended. It may take some time for RKill to scan your computer so please be patient and ignore any messages that might warn you against using RKill. That’s just a way for Windows Test Master to try and scare you again so you won’t remove it from your machine. Note that if Windows Test Master makes it impossible for you to use RKill you will need to download another renamed copy like iExplore.exe, from the same RKill download link provided above. Do Not reboot your computer after completing this step.
- Next step is fixing your Windows Shell Registry value. Do not skip this test or else you won’t be able to access your regular desktop screen after you complete the disinfection process. Execute Shell.reg and let it merge the data.
- Install MBAM while making sure that the buttons labeled Update Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware and the Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware are checked. After the MBAM installation process is complete reboot your computer of prompted to do so.
- After the reboot you will be presented with the MBAM‘s main screen. Go to the Scanner tab, check the Perform Full Scan option and then click on the Scan button below. The scanning process might take a while so please be patient.
- After the scanning is complete you will be presented with the full list of threats found on your computer. Make sure every one of these threats are checked and then press the Remove Selected button. Reboot your computer if necessary.
If you have followed these steps accordingly your computer should now be clean. It’s strongly advised that you follow this neat Secunia PSI guide in order to determine whether or not there are vulnerabilities on your computer, so that you might be able to prevent any further malware attacks.